SubjectRe: Bisected: s2disk (uswsusp only) hangs just before poweroff
From
On 12/2/09, Mel Gorman <mel@csn.ul.ie> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 11:49:47AM +0000, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

>>> It doesn't differ at all in that respect. Actually, it uses the same
>>> code, but
>>> the distro configuration may be such that it leaves fewer available pages
>>> than the default in-kernel hibernation.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rafael
>>>

>> It seems unintuitive that lack of memory is a problem _after we've
>> written out the hibernation image_. The backtrace I captured shows the
>> hang happens within hibernation_platform_enter()...
>>

> I think the backtrace is also showing that it's trying to create a kernel
> thread. For this to be getting locked up, memory must be exceptionally
> tight. One thing that the patch changes is that in certain circumstances,
> an additional 128K of memory per-CPU could be on each the PCP lists.
>
> Ordinarily it doesn't matter because reclaim would resolve the situation
> or the PCP lists would be drained very shortly after. However, if the
> CPUs were no longer being used but still have pages pinned, it could be
> causing a problem.
>
>> Hmm. Doesn't the in-kernel suspend free the in-memory image before
>> powering off?
>>
>> int hibernate(void)
>> pr_debug("PM: writing image.\n");
>> error = swsusp_write(flags);
>> swsusp_free();
>> if (!error)
>> power_down();
>>

>> Would that explain why only uswsusp is affected? Do we want to fix
>> snapshot_read() in user.c, so that it calls swsusp_free() once all the
>> data has been read?
>>

> Could you try it please?

Yes, that fixes it. I left it running over lunch, and it did 24
hibernations cycles without hanging. I'll post it and we'll see what
Rafael thinks. It's only four lines of code, and I think there's a
strong case for it.

> Another possibility would be to call drain_all_pages() before powering
> off. If that makes a difference, it would confirm that pages are pinned
> on PCP lists of inactive processors.

Probably not, since this is a single processor machine :). It's the
original EeePC model with a Celeron processor, no fancy dual cores or
hyperthreading.

Thanks
Alan

  Last update: 2009-12-02 15:27    [W:0.163 / U:0.312 seconds]