    SubjectRe: Bisected: s2disk (uswsusp only) hangs just before poweroff
    Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Tuesday 01 December 2009, Mel Gorman wrote:
    >> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:59:40PM +0000, Alan Jenkins wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Suspend to disk is (sometimes) hanging for me in 2.6.32-rc. I finally
    >>> got around to bisecting it, which blamed the following commit by Mel:
    >>> 5f8dcc2 "page-allocator: split per-cpu list into one-list-per-migrate-type"
    >>> I was able to confirm this by reverting the commit, which fixed the
    >>> hang. I had to revert one other commit first to avoid a conflict:
    >>> a6f9edd "page-allocator: maintain rolling count of pages to free from
    >>> the PCP"
    >> Which RC kernel? Specifically, are the commits
    >> cc4a6851466039a8a688c843962a05689059ff3b always wake kswapd when restarting an allocation attempt
    >> 9d0ed60fe9cd1fbf57f755cd27a23ae9114d7210 Do not allow interrupts to use ALLOC_HARDER
    >> applied?
    >> The latter one in particular might make a difference if s2disk is
    >> pushing the system far below the watermarks. I don't suppose you know
    >> where it's hanging? i.e. is it hanging in the allocator itself?
    >> If those patches are applied, then one difference that 5f8dcc2 makes is
    >> that pages on the PCP lists but not of the right migratetype are not
    >> used. Prior to that commit, an allocation might succeed even if the
    >> buddy lists were empty because one of the other PCP page types would be
    >> used.
    >>> -- detail --
    >>> When I suspend my EeePc 701 to disk, it sometimes hangs after writing
    >>> out the hibernation image. The system is still able to resume from this
    >>> image (after working around the hang by pressing the power button).
    >>> This is specific to s2disk from the uswsusp package (which is now
    >>> installed by default on debian unstable). It doesn't happen if I
    >>> uninstall uswsusp and use the in-kernel suspend instead.
    >> This leads me to believe that uswsusp is able to push available pages
    >> far below what is expected. It's a total guess though, I have no idea
    >> how uswsusp is implemented or how it differs from what is in kernel.
    > It doesn't differ at all in that respect. Actually, it uses the same code, but
    > the distro configuration may be such that it leaves fewer available pages
    > than the default in-kernel hibernation.
    > Thanks,
    > Rafael

    It seems unintuitive that lack of memory is a problem _after we've
    written out the hibernation image_. The backtrace I captured shows the
    hang happens within hibernation_platform_enter()...

    Hmm. Doesn't the in-kernel suspend free the in-memory image before
    powering off?

    int hibernate(void)
    pr_debug("PM: writing image.\n");
    error = swsusp_write(flags);
    if (!error)

    Would that explain why only uswsusp is affected? Do we want to fix
    snapshot_read() in user.c, so that it calls swsusp_free() once all the
    data has been read?

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-12-02 12:53    [W:0.026 / U:15.700 seconds]