SubjectRe: x264 benchmarks BFS vs CFS

* Jason Garrett-Glaser <darkshikari@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Kasper Sandberg <lkml@metanurb.dk> wrote:

> > Thats kinda besides the point.
> >
> > all these tunables and weirdness is _NEVER_ going to work for people.
>
> Can't individually applications request SCHED_BATCH? Our plan was to have
> x264 simply detect if it was necessary (once we figure out what encoding
> settings result in the large gap situation) and automatically enable it for
> the current application.

Yeah, SCHED_BATCH can be requested at will by an app. It's an unprivileged
operation. It gets passed down to child tasks. (You can just do it
unconditionally - older kernels will ignore it and give you an error code for
setscheduler call.)

Having said that, we generally try to make things perform well without apps
having to switch themselves to SCHED_BATCH. Mike, do you think we can make
x264 perform as well (or nearly as well) under SCHED_OTHER as under
SCHED_BATCH?

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-12-18 06:27    [W:0.159 / U:0.264 seconds]