    SubjectRe: x264 benchmarks BFS vs CFS
    On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 12:00 +0100, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
    > On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 11:53 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > * Jason Garrett-Glaser <darkshikari@gmail.com> wrote:

    > > > Yeah, I sent this to Mike a bit ago. Seems that .32 has basically tied
    > > > it--and given the strict thread-ordering expectations of x264, you basically
    > > > can't expect it to do any better, though I'm curious what's responsible for
    > > > the gap in "veryslow", even with SCHED_BATCH enabled.
    > > >
    > > > The most odd case is that of "ultrafast", in which CFS immediately ties BFS
    > > > when we enable SCHED_BATCH. We're doing some further testing to see exactly
    >
    > Thats kinda besides the point.
    >
    > all these tunables and weirdness is _NEVER_ going to work for people.

    Fact is, it is working for a great number of people, the vast majority
    of whom don't even know where the knobs are, much less what they do.

    > now forgive me for being so blunt, but for a user, having to do
    > echo x264 > /proc/cfs/gief_me_performance_on_app
    > or
    > echo some_benchmark > x264 > /proc/cfs/gief_me_performance_on_app

    Theatrics noted.

    > just isnt usable, bfs matches, even exceeds cfs on all accounts, with
    > ZERO user tuning, so while cfs may be able to nearly match up with a ton
    > of application specific stuff, that just doesnt work for a normal user.

    Seems you haven't done much benchmarking. BFS has strengths as well as
    weaknesses, all schedulers do.

    > not to mention that bfs does this whilst not loosing interactivity,
    > something which cfs certainly cannot boast.

    Not true. I sent Con hard evidence of a severe problem area wrt
    interactivity, and hard numbers showing other places where BFS needs
    some work. But hey, if BFS blows your skirt up, use it and be happy.

    -Mike

      Last update: 2009-12-17 14:33    [W:0.025 / U:1.780 seconds]