SubjectRe: CONFIG_KPROBES=y build requires gawk
Date
On Wednesday 16 December 2009 21:45:01 H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 07:33 PM, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
> > Roland Dreier wrote:
> >> Is there any reason not to apply the patch below, to allow more awk
> >> implementations to be used? After all, it's not like we're going to put
> >> non-ASCII characters into the map file...
> >
> > Actually, the reason why I decided to use character classes is
> > [a-z] wasn't same as [[:lower:]] on some environment.
> >
> > For example, before the POSIX standard, to match alphanumeric
> > charac- ters, you would have had to write /[A-Za-z0-9]/. If your
> > character set had other alphabetic characters in it, this would not
> > match them, and if your character set collated differently from ASCII,
> > this might not even match the ASCII alphanumeric characters. With the
> > POSIX character classes, you can write /[[:alnum:]]/, and this matches
> > the alphabetic and numeric characters in your character set, no matter
> > what it is.
> >
> > It seems that "your character set" doesn't mean "what character set are
> > used in the data", it means "what character set build env. is using".
> >
> > So, actually, my first released script had used [a-z], but I needed to
> > move onto [[:lower:]].
>
> This is correct if you are not in the C locale, but I'm not sure if we
> support building the kernel in a non-C locale in the first place.
>
> Do you have a known failure case? There is also the option of
> explicitly setting LC_CTYPE=C. Sigh.

I remember first being surprised when Ubuntu "upgraded" to utf8 locale and
"sort" became case insensitive. Took a while to track down why so much stuff
was breaking.

I've exported LC_ALL=C in all my build environments ever since.

Rob

  Last update: 2009-12-17 05:19    [W:0.091 / U:4.508 seconds]