SubjectRe: radeon KMS causes GART Table Walk Errors (was: K8 ECC error with linux-2.6.32)
Date
Am Mittwoch 16 Dezember 2009 17:41:56 schrieb Borislav Petkov:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 03:58:30PM +0100, Johannes Hirte wrote:
> > >
> > > Because the graphics driver does aperture accesses with no
> > > matching GART translation, and the hw generates mchecks for
> > > that. The whole story on GART table walk errors is in section
> > > "13.10.1 GART Table Walk Error Reporting" in the document here:
> > > http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/32559.pdf
> > >
> > > I can't say for sure about your BIOS, but if it is done as described in
> > > the abovementioned section, the BIOS option should disable logging of
> > > the error, which implies reporting too.
> > >
> > > The patch is still needed for machines that do not have that BIOS
> > > option.
> >
> > Disabling in BIOS doesn't made any difference. The errors were still
> > reported.
>
> Hmm. It would be interesting to know what the BIOS does exactly
> on your machine. We could easily find that out by installing the
> x86info tool (either prepackaged for your distro or from here:
> git://git.choralone.org/git/x86info) and doing as root:
>
> lsmsr MC4 -V3
>
> and sending me the output. Make sure the amd64_edac module is not loaded.

datengrab ~ # lsmsr MC4 -V3
MC4_CTL = 0x0000000000003bff
CorrEccEn=0x1
UnCorrEccEn=0x1
CrcErr0En=0x1
CrcErr1En=0x1
CrcErr2En=0x1
SyncPkt0En=0x1
SyncPkt1En=0x1
SyncPkt2En=0x1
MstrAbrtEn=0x1
TgtAbrtEn=0x1
GartTblWkEn=0
AtomicRMWEn=0x1
WchDogTmrEn=0x1
DramParEn=0
MC4_STATUS = 0x0000000000000000
ErrorCode=0
ErrorCodeExt=0
Syndrome=0
ErrCpu0=0
ErrCpu1=0
LDTLink=0
ErrScrub=0
DramChannel=0
UnCorrECC=0
CorrECC=0
ECC_Synd=0
PCC=0
ErrAddrVal=0
ErrMiscVal=0
ErrEn=0
ErrUnCorr=0
ErrOver=0
ErrValid=0
MC4_ADDR = 0x0000000090063a20
ADDR=0x1200c744
MC4_MISC = 0x0000000000000000
ErrCount=0
Ovrflw=0
IntType=0
CntEn=0
LvtOff=0
Locked=0
CtrP=0
Val=0
MC4_CTL_MASK = 0x0000000000000400
CorrEccEn=0
UnCorrEccEn=0
CrcErr0En=0
CrcErr1En=0
CrcErr2En=0
SyncPkt0En=0
SyncPkt1En=0
SyncPkt2En=0
MstrAbrtEn=0
TgtAbrtEn=0
GartTblWkEn=0x1
AtomicRMWEn=0
WchDogTmrEn=0
DramParEn=0

> > Your patch disabled it.
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> > But I think this will make work harder for driver developers as
> > they won't get this error anymore. Could this be made changeable on
> > runtime/boottime?
>
> yep, we have that. You have to set 'report_gart_errors' module parameter
> to 1 when loading amd64_edac and GART TLB errors will be reported.

Thanks, I should read the sources more carefully.

regards,
Johannes

  Last update: 2009-12-17 04:09    [W:0.101 / U:0.020 seconds]