    Subjectradeon KMS causes GART Table Walk Errors (was: K8 ECC error with linux-2.6.32)
    Date
    Am Mittwoch 16 Dezember 2009 08:14:43 schrieb Borislav Petkov:
    > On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:00:46PM +0100, Johannes Hirte wrote:
    > > This patch (as the BIOS option) will only disable the error reports. The
    > > error itself will still occur, right? So necessary to find out why the
    > > radeon driver trigger this error.
    >
    > Because the graphics driver does aperture accesses with no
    > matching GART translation, and the hw generates mchecks for
    > that. The whole story on GART table walk errors is in section
    > "13.10.1 GART Table Walk Error Reporting" in the document here:
    > http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/32559.pdf
    >
    > I can't say for sure about your BIOS, but if it is done as described in
    > the abovementioned section, the BIOS option should disable logging of
    > the error, which implies reporting too.
    >
    > The patch is still needed for machines that do not have that BIOS
    > option.

    Disabling in BIOS doesn't made any difference. The errors were still reported.
    Your patch disabled it. But I think this will make work harder for driver
    developers as they won't get this error anymore. Could this be made changeable
    on runtime/boottime?

    I've added drm people to CC as they're responsible for this error.

    regards,
    Johannes

      Last update: 2009-12-16 16:01    [W:0.026 / U:0.548 seconds]