Subjectradeon KMS causes GART Table Walk Errors (was: K8 ECC error with linux-2.6.32)
Date
Am Mittwoch 16 Dezember 2009 08:14:43 schrieb Borislav Petkov:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:00:46PM +0100, Johannes Hirte wrote:
> > This patch (as the BIOS option) will only disable the error reports. The
> > error itself will still occur, right? So necessary to find out why the
> > radeon driver trigger this error.
>
> Because the graphics driver does aperture accesses with no
> matching GART translation, and the hw generates mchecks for
> that. The whole story on GART table walk errors is in section
> "13.10.1 GART Table Walk Error Reporting" in the document here:
> http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/32559.pdf
>
> I can't say for sure about your BIOS, but if it is done as described in
> the abovementioned section, the BIOS option should disable logging of
> the error, which implies reporting too.
>
> The patch is still needed for machines that do not have that BIOS
> option.

Disabling in BIOS doesn't made any difference. The errors were still reported.
Your patch disabled it. But I think this will make work harder for driver
developers as they won't get this error anymore. Could this be made changeable
on runtime/boottime?

I've added drm people to CC as they're responsible for this error.

regards,
Johannes

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans