    SubjectRe: [this_cpu_xx V7 0/8] Per cpu atomics in core allocators and cleanup
    * Christoph Lameter ( wrote:
    > Leftovers from the earlier patchset. Mostly applications of per cpu counters
    > to core components.
    > After this patchset there will be only one user of local_t left: Mathieu's
    > trace ringbuffer. Does it really need these ops?

    Besides my own ring buffer implementation in LTTng, at least Steven's
    kernel/trace/ring_buffer.c (in mainline) use this too. We would need a
    way to directly map to the same resulting behavior with per-cpu

    In LTTng, I use local_cmpxchg, local_read, local_add and, in some
    setups, local_add_return to manage the write counter and commit
    counters. These per-cpu counters are kept in per-cpu buffer management
    data allocated for each data collection "channel".

    The current way I allocate this structure for all cpus is:

    chan->buf = alloc_percpu(struct ltt_chanbuf);

    But note that each struct ltt_chanbuf contains a pointer to an array
    containing each sub-buffer commit counters for the given buffer:

    struct commit_counters {
    local_t cc;
    local_t cc_sb; /* Incremented _once_ at sb switch */
    local_t events; /* Event count */

    struct ltt_chanbuf {
    struct ltt_chanbuf_alloc a; /* Parent. First field. */
    /* First 32 bytes cache-hot cacheline */
    local_t offset; /* Current offset in the buffer */
    struct commit_counters *commit_count;
    /* Commit count per sub-buffer */
    atomic_long_t consumed; /*
    * Current offset in the buffer
    * standard atomic access (shared)

    So I think accessing the "local_t offset" through percpu pointers should
    be fine if I allocate struct ltt_chanbuf through the per cpu API.
    However, I wonder how to deal with the commit_count counters, because
    there is an indirection level.

    Mathieu Desnoyers

      Last update: 2009-12-15 18:45    [W:0.023 / U:60.808 seconds]