    SubjectRe: bisected crash due to "x86: Move swiotlb initialization before dma32_free_bootmem"
    From
    On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:56:50 +0100
    Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

    > * FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
    >
    > > There are a few people who hit this. How many people use a box with over
    > > 256GB memory?
    > >
    > > And you can work around this with "dma32_size" kernel boot option.
    >
    > Well, since the kernel has not crashed before this change there's really just
    > two options as per upstream kernel regression policy: either we fix it or we
    > revert it.

    As I wrote, here is a patch that can be applied to cleanly to the git
    head:

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tomo/misc/0001-x86-two-stage-swiotlb-initialization.patch

    It fixes the problem. Yinghai, can you test it? It should work but
    it's good to confirm it.

    I simply wanted to say that it's not a bug that breaks lots of boxes
    or leads to something serious like data corruption (no need to say
    something like "revert it now!"). It's also worth investigating why it
    breaks, I think.

      Last update: 2009-12-15 12:13    [W:0.055 / U:0.032 seconds]