SubjectRe: [GIT]: IDE
Date
On Monday 09 November 2009 06:30:55 David Miller wrote:

> The revert we thought we didn't need, we really do need still, even
> with Bart Z.'s fix.
>
> The issue is that we are doing these PIO setting calls before we did
> the device probe and therefore we don't yet know the media type.
>
> Yet the ->set_pio_mode() of some drivers key off of the media type to
> determine whether to turn prefetching etc. on so it can't possibly
> work properly.

Thanks for quick reaction to the revert request.

If somebody is interested in the proper way to fix it you just need to
add ide_unknown media type and set it before probe instead of ide_disk
one. Then audit ->set_pio_mode implementations for potential gotchas.

[ However it is too late for -rc and nobody is currently working on
IDE fixes anyway so I just requested the revert . ]

--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz

  Last update: 2009-11-09 11:39    [W:0.230 / U:2.124 seconds]