    SubjectRe: periodic fsck was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible
    On 2009-11-09, at 07:05, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > So these days, what I strongly recommend is that people use LVM
    > snapshots, and schedule weekly checks during some low usage period
    > (i.e., 3am on Saturdays), using something like the e2croncheck shell
    > script.

    There was another script written to do this that handled the e2fsck,
    reiserfsck
    and xfs_check, detecting all volume groups automatically, along with
    e.g.
    validating that the snapshot volume doesn't exist before starting the
    check
    (which may indicate that the previous e2fsck is still running), and
    not running while on AC power.

    The last version was in the thread "forced fsck (again?)" dated
    2008-01-28.
    Would it be better to use that one? In that thread we discussed not
    clobbering
    the last checked time as e2croncheck does, so the admin can see how
    long it
    was since the filesystem was last checked.

    Maybe it makes more sense to get the lvcheck script included into util-
    linux-ng
    or lvm2 packages, and have it added automatically to the cron.weekly
    directory?
    Then the distros could disable the at-boot checking safely, while
    still being
    able to detect corruption caused by cables/RAM/drives/software.

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger
    Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group

      Last update: 2009-11-09 17:01    [W:4.005 / U:0.012 seconds]