SubjectRe: i686 quirk for AMD Geode
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 18:22:18 Alan Cox wrote:
> > If it wasn't riddled with 19 errors (not bad for only 133 lines),
> > I would have bothered to remove these irrelevant lines.
>
> Checkpatch is just formatting - its just an aide nothing more.
> It's not remotely useful to bother with them for stuff that is
> basically sanely formatted until such point as someone is actually
> sure the patch is worth going into the tree.

the utility is called checkpatch and not checkstyle or checkformatting.
And there's a good reason behind this decision, because it does
more than just checking style.

e.g:
- correct use of some blackfin hi/lo macros.
- if certain data structures are declared as const
(struct seq_operations/file_operations)
- correct use of NR_CPUS is usually wrong
- complains about in_atomic() outside core kernel code
- warns about LINUX_VERSION_CODE, #if 0,
volatile or deprecated functions.
- informs about needless kfree/usb_free_urb checks
- etc...

and I'm sure that future modifications will add more
useful functionality _checks_ to many more _common pitfalls_
areas.
--
DSL-Preisknaller: DSL Komplettpakete von GMX schon für
16,99 Euro mtl.!* Hier klicken: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02