SubjectRe: package managers [was: FatELF patches...]
> I think the important question here is what is is exactly that the
> package manager *did* to break the app you are talking about?

It interferred with my will to install the version of the software that I
want.

> be, and not magically be able to discern that you've replaced one of
> the most core packages in the system (which, by the way is most
> definitely not something that %99.999 of users are going to try)

If you need new 3D driver because of better gaming performance ... if you
need new lame because it encodes mp3 better ... if you need new libsane
because it supports the new scanner that you have ... you are going to
face the same problems like me when I needed new binutils. But the big
problem is that persons needing these things usually don't have enough
skills to install the software on their own and then fight with the
package management system.

On Windows, the user can just download the EXE, run it, click
next-next-next-finish and have it installed. There is no package
management that would try to overwrite what you have just installed.

Mikulas

  Last update: 2009-11-04 23:07    [W:0.575 / U:0.940 seconds]