    SubjectRe: make getdents/readdir POSIX compliant wrt mount-point dirent.d_ino
    On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:50:52 +0000 (UTC)
    Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:

    > Ulrich Drepper <drepper <at> gmail.com> writes:
    >
    > > I guess that this is really a difficult way to solve. I wouldn't want
    > > to pay for something which is hardly ever really used.
    > >
    > > But there are programs out there which would like to use the inode
    > > uniqueness. Therefore the next best thing to do is perhaps to return
    > > a flag in the getdents information (in d_type, perhaps) to indicate
    > > that this is a mount point and/or that there are multiple ways to
    > > access the file in question. Then programs which can use the inode
    > > information can be watching for this flag and enter the slow path only
    > > if it's set.
    >
    > An alternative to a flag in d_type might be setting d_ino to a sentinel value
    > (there is plenty of existing code that refuses to use a readdir entry with d_ino
    > of 0, so it would have to be something else; but maybe -1 would work). But I
    > definitely like your idea of making it obvious to the application (whether by
    > d_ino or d_type) when it is necessary to use lstat to validate the inode number,
    > and promising that if the flag is not set then d_ino is correct.

    The only problem with those schemes is that they assume that you're
    using getdents. If you just lstat something then it's not clear.

    It seems like a better scheme might be to do something that makes this
    clear when using an lstat call too. Maybe we could coopt a bit in the
    st_mode?

    S_IFXDEV 020000

    That's outside of the S_IFMT mask, so it shouldn't break S_IS* checks,
    right?

    --
    Jeff Layton <jlayton@redhat.com>

      Last update: 2009-11-04 21:25    [W:0.021 / U:98.284 seconds]