    SubjectRe: package managers [was: FatELF patches...]
    Date
    On Wednesday 04 November 2009 18:25:07 Mikulas Patocka wrote:
    > On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > - With Linux package managers, the user is stuck with the software and
    > > > version shipped by the distribution. If he wants to install anything
    > > > newer or older, it turns into black magic and the typical desktop
    > > > user (non-hacker) can't do it.
    > >
    > > In the rpm/yumworld that would be "yum downgrade" and "yum upgrade" for
    > > packages or whatever button on whatever gui wrapper you happen to have.
    >
    > And what if there isn't a package? Upgrade option doesn't solve the need
    > for [ distributions X software ] matrix of packages.
    >
    > > And of course yum supports third party repositories so you can also deal
    > > with the updating problem which Windows tends not to do well for third
    > > party software.
    >
    > A practical example --- when I wanted to get Wine on RHEL 5, all I found
    > was a package for 1.0.1. Nothing newer.
    >
    > I managed to compile the current version of Wine (it wasn't straghtforward
    > and took few days to solve all the problems) and it ran the program I
    > wanted. But I can imagine that a typical business user or home gamer will
    > just say "that Linux sux".
    >
    > You can say that I should delete RHEL-5 and install Fedora, but that is
    > just that "upgrade one program" => "upgrade all programs" problem.

    Have you ever tried upgrading Windows because some program is incompatible
    with the current installation? ... That is indeed an 'upgrade all' procedure
    ... _If_ you're lucky enough to be able to reinstall your software.

    Being able to upgrade at least Debian -- and others as well -- without the
    need to attend the computer is IMHO one of Linux' biggest wins.

    BTW: Wine has, like many others, the newest version of their software
    prepackaged for RHEL 4 & 5 among others at their site:
    http://www.winehq.org/download/

    If all else fail the developers could go for statically compiled binaries in
    an executable tarball, which then handles the installation to /usr/local

    -Martin

      Last update: 2009-11-04 18:57    [W:0.024 / U:62.460 seconds]