SubjectRe: Memory overcommit
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:58:04 -0800 (PST)
David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
>
> > > That's a different point. Today, we can influence the badness score of
> > > any user thread to prioritize oom killing from userspace and that can be
> > > done regardless of whether there's a memory leaker, a fork bomber, etc.
> > > The priority based oom killing is important to production scenarios and
> > > cannot be replaced by a heuristic that works everytime if it cannot be
> > > influenced by userspace.
> > >
> > I don't removed oom_adj...
> >

> Right, but we must ensure that we have the same ability to influence a
> priority based oom killing scheme from userspace as we currently do with a
> relatively static total_vm. total_vm may not be the optimal baseline, but
> it does allow users to tune oom_adj specifically to identify tasks that
> are using more memory than expected and to be static enough to not depend
> on rss, for example, that is really hard to predict at the time of oom.
>
> That's actually my main goal in this discussion: to avoid losing any
> ability of userspace to influence to priority of tasks being oom killed
> (if you haven't noticed :).
>
> > > Tweaking on the heuristic will probably make it more convoluted and
> > > overall worse, I agree. But it's a more stable baseline than rss from
> > > which we can set oom killing priorities from userspace.
> >
> > - "rss < total_vm_size" always.
>
> But rss is much more dynamic than total_vm, that's my point.

My point and your point are differnt.

1. All my concern is "baseline for heuristics"
2. All your concern is "baseline for knob, as oom_adj"

ok ? For selecting victim by the kernel, dynamic value is much more useful.
Current behavior of "Random kill" and "Kill multiple processes" are too bad.
Considering oom-killer is for what, I think "1" is more important.

But I know what you want, so, I offers new knob which is not affected by RSS
as I wrote in previous mail.

Off-topic:
As memcg is growing better, using OOM-Killer for resource control should be
ended, I think. Maybe Fake-NUMA+cpuset is working well for google system,
but plz consider to use memcg.

> > - oom_adj culculation is quite strong.
> > - total_vm of processes which maps hugetlb is very big ....but killing them
> > is no help for usual oom.
> >
> > I recommend you to add "stable baseline" knob for user space, as I wrote.
> > My patch 6 adds stable baseline bonus as 50% of vm size if run_time is enough
> > large.
> >

> There's no clear relationship between VM size and runtime. The forkbomb
> heuristic itself could easily return a badness of ULONG_MAX if one is
> detected using runtime and number of children, as I earlier proposed, but
> that doesn't seem helpful to factor into the scoring.

Old processes are important, younger are not. But as I wrote, I'll drop
most of patch "6". So, plz forget about this part.

I'm interested in fork-bomb killer rather than crazy badness calculation, now.

Thanks,
-Kame

  Last update: 2009-11-04 03:23    [W:0.099 / U:0.668 seconds]