SubjectRe: Please consider reverting 7d930bc33653d5592dc386a76a38f39c2e962344
On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 16:16 +0900, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> and can we please stop jumping the gun here and going past the subsystem
> maintainers. I think this happens a little bit too much lately.

I'll rant a bit too -- I've been very annoyed by this many times. Note
this isn't really against you (Dmitry) in particular, just another
case ... but it does tick me off that many times when somebody manages
to blame a failure on a specific commit the first thing they do is ask
somebody way "above" (in terms of patch flow into mainline) the person
writing the patch (like Linus here) to revert it.

It'd help communication and be so much more friendly if the subject was
"found problem with commit ..." instead of "please consider
reverting ..." (which was comparatively friendly already!). You can even
leave the body almost identical, but I think it's presumptuous to
effectively say "hey I know the solution for the problem already". I'll
venture a guess and say that wasn't even the intent, but it certainly
comes across like that if you write an email with this subject, and
start the body with "Hi Linus," not even addressing the patch author,
just adding them to CC out of courtesy.

Should I think this is accepted practice?

</rant>

Before you get the wrong impression, yes, certainly this particular
commit was bad, and it shouldn't have happened. I tested it, but clearly
not every aspect of it. That's clearly my fault, I apologise for that.

johannes

  Last update: 2009-11-03 08:49    [W:0.311 / U:0.388 seconds]