SubjectRe: Problem? intel_iommu=off; perf top shows acpi_os_read_port as extremely busy
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:18:08 +0100
Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> * Michael Breuer <mbreuer@majjas.com> wrote:
>
> > Having given up for now on VT-D, I rebooted 2.6.38 rc8 with
> > intel_iommu=off. Whilst my myriad of broken bios issues cleared, I
> > now see in perf top acpi_os_read_port as continually the busiest
> > function. With intel_iommu enabled, _spin_lock was always on top,
> > and nothing else was notable.
> >
> > This seems odd to me, perhaps this will make sense to someone else.
> >
> > FWIW, I'm running on an Asus p6t deluxe v2; ht enabled; no errors
> > or oddities in dmesg or /var/log/messages.
>
> Could you post the perf top output please?
>
> Also, could you also post the output of:
>
> perf stat -a --repeat 10 sleep 1
>
> this will show us how idle the system is. (My guess is that your
> system is idle and perf top shows acpi_os_read_port because the
> system goes to idle via ACPI methods and PIO is slow. In that case
> all is nominal and your system is fine. But it's hard to tell without
> more details.)

yeah the os_read_port is part of the idle loop, so if your system is
idle it'll show up big.... not much we can optimize there though...

  Last update: 2009-11-28 18:47    [W:0.061 / U:1.284 seconds]