    > > From: Roland McGrath <>
    > >
    > > This adds the utrace facility, a new modular interface in the kernel
    > > for implementing user thread tracing and debugging. This fits on top
    > > of the tracehook_* layer, so the new code is well-isolated.
    > Could we just drop the tracehook layer if this finally merged
    > and call the low level functions directly?

    Not sure I understand. Tracehooks are trivial inline wrappers on
    top utrace calls,

    > It might have been reasonably early on when it was still out of tree,
    > but longer term when it's integrated having strange opaque hooks
    > like that just makes the coder harder to read and maintain.

    Well, I don't think the code will be better if we remove tracehooks.

    For example. tracehook_report_syscall_entry() has a lot of callers
    in arch/, each callsite should be changed to do

    if ((task_utrace_flags(current) & UTRACE_EVENT(SYSCALL_ENTRY)) &&
    ret = -1; // this depends on machine

    instead of simply calling tracehook_report_syscall_entry().

    What is the point?

    But again, perhaps I misunderstood you.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-24 21:49    [W:0.020 / U:5.544 seconds]