SubjectRe: [patch 0/8] x86: UV - XPC fixes with related support functionality V2.
> Regarding the patches - i still very much dislike how the code
> interfaces to the 'BIOS'. The drivers/misc/sgi-xp/ code looks rather
> messy.
>
> Why isnt a pure hardware interface exposed, as both hpa and me suggested
> in the past?

The information is stored on hardware (UV-Hub and RAM) outside this instance of hardware.

The only safe way to access that hardware is via the GRU.

No GRU resources are available to the BIOS.

Ergo, this interface method with multiple passes is needed.

If there is a better way, I am open to suggestions.

> Anyway ... these bits got merged via -mm in the past so i guess it could
> be done there in the future too - the series does not look horrible -
> but the whole concept ought to be done in a cleaner way.

I will ask Andrew to take them.

Thanks,
Robin

  Last update: 2009-11-24 01:01    [W:0.087 / U:0.192 seconds]