    Subject[bisected] pty performance problem
    I posted this to the kernel-newbies list, but have graduated to the
    adults forum:

    ! Two C programs are having a query-response conversation through a
    ! pseudo terminal:
    !
    ! A (client) -- forever { send query; read response }
    ! B (server) -- forever { read query; send response }
    !
    ! Neither has any I/O apart from the pty conversation, so I'd expect to
    ! see CPU usage at 100%. When I ran it, the CPU was pretty well idle.
    ! After a fair bit of fiddling, it turned out that both sides were
    ! taking about 8ms for their read() calls. At that point it seemed
    ! pretty clear that this was a delay in the kernel, not the code.
    !
    [snip]

    2.6.31-rc2-00205-gb4b21ca good
    2.6.31-rc2-00206-gd945cb9 bad

    and still bad with the latest: 2.6.32-rc8-00011-ga8a8a66

    the git log says:
    ! commit d945cb9cce20ac7143c2de8d88b187f62db99bdc