    SubjectRe: FatELF patches...
    Once upon a time, Ryan C. Gordon <icculus@icculus.org> said:
    >I wouldn't imagine this is the target audience for FatELF. For embedded
    >devices, just use the same ELF files you've always used.

    What _is_ the target audience?

    As I see it, there are three main groups of Linux consumers:

    - embedded: No interest in this; adds significant bloat, generally
    embedded systems don't allow random binaries anyway

    - enterprise distributions (e.g. Red Hat, SuSE): They have specific
    supported architectures, with partner programs to support those archs.
    If something is supported, they can support all archs with
    arch-specific binaries.

    - community distributions (e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian): This would
    greatly increase build infrastructure complexity, mirror disk space,
    and download bandwidth, and (from a user perspective) slow down update
    downloads significantly.

    If you don't have buy-in from at least a large majority of one of these
    segments, this is a big waste. If none of the above support it, it will
    not be used by any binary-only software distributors.

    Is any major distribution (enterprise or community) going to use this?
    If not, kill it now.

    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

      Last update: 2009-11-02 17:27    [W:4.265 / U:0.444 seconds]