    SubjectRe: BUG: GCC-4.4.x changes the function frame on some functions

    On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

    > While testing various kernel configs we found out that the problem
    > comes and goes. Finally I started to compare the gcc command line
    > options and after some fiddling it turned out that the following
    > minimal deltas change the code generator behaviour:
    >
    > Bad: -march=pentium-mmx -Wa,-mtune=generic32
    > Good: -march=i686 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32
    > Good: -march=pentium-mmx -mtune-generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32
    >
    > I'm not supposed to understand the logic behind that, right ?

    Are you sure it's just the compiler flags?

    There's another configuration portion: the size of the alignment itself.
    That's dependent on L1_CACHE_SHIFT, which in turn is taken from the kernel
    config CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT.

    Maybe that value matters too - for example maybe gcc will not try to align
    the stack if it's big?

    [ Btw, looking at that, why are X86_L1_CACHE_BYTES and X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT
    totally unrelated numbers? Very confusing. ]

    The compiler flags we use are tied to some of the same choices that choose
    the cache shift, so the correlation you found while debugging this would
    still hold.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-20 02:03    [W:0.021 / U:1.392 seconds]