    SubjectRe: [patch v2] x86: reduce srat verbosity in the kernel log

    David Rientjes wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >> I'm waiting for Mike to test them (and other patches) and send a new
    >> series out with bits to pick up.
    > Mike posted his series today without including my patch, so I've replied
    > to it.

    Sorry, I wasn't aware I should have.
    >> But i really dont like such type of buffering - in the past they tended
    >> to be problematic.
    > I'm not sure that I'd call it buffering when iterating through all apic
    > id's and setting appropriate bits in a bitmap when they map to a node id.
    > It's apparently not been problematic either on my machines, Mike's
    > machines, or his merge with ACPI 4.0 code. I think the code is pretty
    > straight forward.
    >> Why print this info at all in the default bootup?
    >> It's not needed on a correctly functioning system.
    > We have no other export of the apic id to to node mappings in the kernel.
    > We already show each pxm's address range, each node's address range, and
    > the pxm to node map. The only other way to map apic ids to nodes is by
    > looking for the lines "CPU 0/0 -> Node 0," which I believe are being
    > removed.

    The bootup messages in my patch 1/7 list nodes and their processors as each
    boots. And this is easily found under /sysfs.

    Also, I think in general that all the apic messages, unless they represent
    "system boot progress" should be displayed only when asked for, like with
    apic=debug or verbose? Something more like:

    BIOS-provided physical RAM map processed.
    EFI: memory allocated.
    SRAT: table interpreted.
    Bootmem setups complete.
    ACPI: APIC's enabled.
    PM: Registered all nosave memory.

    Removing the above tables remove about 3400 lines of console output on a 1k
    thread machine. There are 20,000+ lines of output before you get to the
    login prompt (even with the removal of cpu bootup messages).

    But you are right, the apic info should be available via /sysfs or /procfs.

    The next BIG output is from devices. Listing all the pci busses available
    is an overkill as that info is also readily available when the system is

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-12 22:17    [W:0.021 / U:66.992 seconds]