SubjectRe: ALPS touchpad with 4 directions button doesnt work as intended
On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 04:10 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> I have a acer 5720G laptop, and its touchpad (ALPS) has three buttons,
> usual left/right, and middle button that can be pressed in 4 directions.
> Up/down direction work fine, but left/right doesn't. This means that
> left direction produces middle button click, and right direction
> doesn't work at all.
> I took a look at source, and I see that driver doesn't even know about
> such configuration.
> Now I am sure its very easy to figure out what is send when no working
> button is pressed, but I am a bit confused what BTN_* event to assign to
> it, so it will work as horizontal scroll as intended.
> And unassign middle button from other direction....

I have written now the patch to resolve this issue on my laptop.
However I had to put a dmi check for my system, because I afraid I break

The problem is that the device reports 4way button in bizarre way, this
is it reports left way click as a middle button.

I can't test for laptops that really have just middle button and thus
reporting it as the left way scroll is wrong.

Testing for hardware version probably won't help, I am afraid that this
is laptop specific. Windows .INF file has plenty of suspicious entries
about that.

The ALPS touchpad on my notebook reports 0x73, 0x02, 0x50 for the

Also up/down directions are now reported by BTN_0, BTN_1
Feel free to ask me not to do so if there is a reason to do so.
Here it works both ways.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky