SubjectRe: [RFC] new -stable tag variant, Git workflow question
James Bottomley wrote:
[...]
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 04:48:31AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> > FYI, today i committed a scheduler performance fix that has a number of
>> > commit prerequisites for -stable integration. Those commits are not
>> > marked -stable.
[...]
>> > we can move this into the Git commit space too, and minimize the
>> > work for the -stable team, via a new -stable tag variant.
[...]
> The question is, how important is this?
>
> One of the assumptions behind the current setup is that I assume
> backports are independent (so the order of transmission doesn't matter
> that much). This isn't always true, but the exceptions tend to get
> handled manually. Part of what the above is requesting is an
> implementation that starts to care about ordering.

More importantly, isn't this against the character of the -stable kernel
branches as _safe and simple_ hotfix branches?

If a fix has a number of prerequisites which ar not -stable fixes
themselves, then it is more than a hint that this fix is not really well
suited for -stable.
--
Stefan Richter

  Last update: 2009-11-10 16:55    [W:0.657 / U:0.944 seconds]