SubjectRe: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio: Add memory statistics reporting to the balloon driver
On 11/10/2009 04:36 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

>> A stats vq might solve this more cleanly?
>
> actual and target are both really just stats. Had we implemented
> those with a vq, I'd be inclined to agree with you but since they're
> implemented in the config space, it seems natural to extend the config
> space with other stats.

There is in fact a difference; actual and target are very rarely
updated, while the stats are updated very often. Using a vq means a
constant number of exits per batch instead of one exit per statistic.
If the vq is host-driven, it also allows the host to control the update
frequency dynamically (i.e. stop polling when there is no memory pressure).

  Last update: 2009-11-10 15:47    [W:0.094 / U:0.384 seconds]