SubjectRe: FatELF patches...

> Am I the only one who sees this as nothing bloat for its own sake?

I posted a fairly large list of benefits here: http://icculus.org/fatelf/

Some are more far-fetched than others, I will grant. Also, I suspect most
people will find one benefit and ten things they don't care about, but
that benefit is different for different people. I'm confident that the
benefits far outweigh the size of the kernel patch.

> Did I miss a massive drop in intelligence of Linux users, causing them
> to no longer be capable of picking the correct file themselves?

Also known as "market saturation." :)

(But really, there are benefits beyond helping dumb people, even if
helping dumb people wasn't a worthwhile goal in itself.)

> As an embedded systems guy, I'm more concerned about precious flash
> space going to waste than about some hypothetical convenience.

I wouldn't imagine this is the target audience for FatELF. For embedded
devices, just use the same ELF files you've always used.

--ryan.

  Last update: 2009-11-01 22:03    [W:0.118 / U:1.244 seconds]