SubjectRe: r8169 ethernet hangs after a pm-suspend (and resume)
From
2009/9/9 Francois Romieu <romieu@fr.zoreil.com>:
> Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker@bennee.com> :
> [...]
>> I've just recently gotten suspend working on my system. Unfortunately
>> after the resume event I loose access to the network.
>> As far as the system is concerned the network is configured properly
>> but every attempt to ping local nodes fails with "Host not reachable".
>
> Can the problem be described as "gigabit link setting does not survive
> suspend/resume" ?

Even further experimentation shows that ethernet functionality can
survive the resume for a few minutes before reseting. Once it gets
into this state even rmmod/modprobing the r8169 driver won't unwedge
the driver.

The symptoms are either the driver detecting an unknown MAC or setting
the physical address to 0xfffffffff which is obviously broken. I
suspect the hardware has gotten itself wedged somehow.

Is there any way to hard reset the chipset (without power cycling the
system)?

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk

  Last update: 2009-10-08 11:37    [W:0.074 / U:0.932 seconds]