SubjectRe: ppc_md.SMI replacement for 2.6
Date
I have found the differences between the 2.4 and 2.6 kernel. It is in
linux-2.4/arch/ppc/kernel/traps.c and linux-2.6/arch/powerpc/kernel/
traps.c in the function SMIException(). There is no longer the code
segment

if (ppc_md.SMI)
{
ppc_md.SMI(regs);
return;
}

There is now only a

die("System Management Interrupt", regs, SIGABRT);

I am guessing that the SMI callback is no longer needed by the linux
community at large, so I modified the code for my specific hardware
(HPPB) and acknowledged the exception as in the 2.4 kernel, and
returned from the exception without the call to die(). My problem now
is that it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have a reason why the SMI
exception might hang the system when it has been provided a handler?

Thanks in advance.

Donald Kayser

On Oct 7, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Donald Kayser wrote:

> I have ported the 2.6 kernel to an embedded PPC target (old stuff).
> I have managed to figure everything out, but can't find any
> replacement for a SMI handler. The original 2.4 version for this
> target has a bit of code ppc_md.SMI == SmiFuncHandler; I have not
> been able to find in the current source anything like this. I am not
> certain that I need to provide a handler at all, but the original
> developers saw some reason for including it. The particular handler
> does not do anything more than cancel a watchdog listener for this
> specific target. I have been living without the handler, but would
> like to find any kind of replacement if it is supported.
>
> Thanks,
> Donald Kayser
> linux@kayser.net

  Last update: 2009-10-08 15:47    [W:0.050 / U:0.552 seconds]