SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc3

> It doesn't help, for several reasons:
>
> - the step function of the Makefile change happens once per release, and
> if you compile anything but releases, you can never rely on just the
> revision. Was it a plain -rc, a plain release, or something in
> between? You'll never know, just looking at the 2.6.x.y thing.
>
> In other words, you fundamentally have three choices:
>
> (a) be confused. Adding an "-rc0" won't help. You'll still be confused
> in between releases about exactly what you're running.

Well, thing is, it's not us who are confused in general, it's users who
do reports with confusing versions. Yes, I agree that anything but a
release warrants a proper commit ID, but that's exactly what I asked for
when I wanted -rc0 here :-)

IE. That the -only- kernel that is called "2.6.x" is the release,
everything else has some kind of -rc in front of it, which allows me to
bug the user for a commit ID and know right away that this isn't a
release kernel.

> (b) use CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y
>
> Now, if 'uname -r' says 2.6.31, then you _know_ it's exactly
> 2.6.31 and nothing else. If it's a few commits after 2.6.31, it
> will say something like '2.6.31-1-g752015d', and you know that
> it's one commit after 2.6.31, and you'll know _which_ commit it is!
>
> (c) Don't compile anything but releases.
>
> Those are the choices.

Sure, when doing the stuff ourselves. Again, the problem is user
reports. Being able to distinguish between a 2.6.x "release" kernel and
anything else would be of value, at least to me. For anything else, I
can say "heh, you've been compiling non-release stuff, you should be
able to get me a git commit ID.

Difference boils down to users falling into two categories: Those who
compile non-release stuff, and should be able to figure out what the ID
is or recompile with LOCAL_VERSION set propertly etc... and those who
don't, didn't always compile the kernel themselves, and fortunately in
-most- cases are only running a "release".

> - An even _more_ fundamental reason: Linux development isn't linear.
> There is not one "first commit" after a release, and there never will
> be. Sure, there's a first commit that I do, but that has absolutely
> zero relevance.

it would be easy enough for you to push a change to the Makefile just
after you tag a release and before you merge anything else.

> Learn this. Until you do, you'll be confused, and you'll show your
> confusion by saying "I want a 2.6.n+1-rc0". You'll _also_ show your
> confusion by things like "I was bisecting a bug that happened between
> 2.6.30 and 2.6.31, and suddenly git was asking me to test a kernel that
> said it was version 2.6.29-rc1 - so I stopped bisecting because git was
> confused".
>
> Who was confused? Was it git, or was it the person who thought that the
> Makefile version could be consistent in a non-linear world?
>
> So no. I'm not going to do -rc0. Because doing that is _stupid_. And until
> you understand _why_ it's stupid, it's pointless talking about it, and
> when you _do_ understand that it's stupid, you'll agree with me.

I disagree. I understand the linearity problem. My point isn't about
having the Makefile provide with any kind of precise "pointer" into that
tree for non-release, but really only to differenciate a release from
anything else.

I know for somebody who uses git everyday, the concept of release even
becomes a bit fuzzy, but there's a lot of folks out there who really
don't see anything else :-)

Cheers,
Ben.