    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc3

    On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Len Brown wrote:

    > This also means that I've overwritten all of the
    > reference build results.

    That was a really long and boring email, and all it said to me was

    "I can't be bothered to turn on CONFIG_LOCALCONFIG_AUTO, or I didn't even
    read the thread to find out it exists and that you can use it even
    without a git tree"

    > thanks for listening.

    I wish I could say the same.

    So now, can you please just turn on CONFIG_LOCALCONFIG_AUTO and say "oh,
    I'm happy now"?

    It really does work with tar-balls too. The whole tar-ball thing is a
    total red herring. All you need to do is add a ".scmversion" file into the
    end result, and you're done.

    And you can do that easily - even _after_ you've created the tar-file, and
    even if you don't have a working tree. Lookie here:

    tar rvf some-random-tar-file.tar linux-x.y.z/.scmversion

    see?

    Or, in the case of using "git archive", you can avoid having to remember
    to add that .scmversion file, and instead teach your build-bot to create
    it automatically from the tar-file even if you do _not_ add a .scmversion
    file to the actual tar-file. "git tar" There's a command for that: "git
    get-tar-commit-id", so you can just add something like

    zcat < xxx.tar.gz | git get-tar-commit-id > .scmversion

    (yes, yes, you may want to massage it a bit, ie do something like

    or whatever to turn that 40-character SHA1 into a nicer extraversion.
    Whatever. Truly trivial scripting, and it means that your build server
    will now _always_ build a kernel that actually knows what kernel it is!

    Isn't that the sign of a _good_ solution? Something that actually improves
    the end result in a real way? Now your builds will know what version they
    were built from!

    Please?

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-10-18 23:28    [W:0.025 / U:61.272 seconds]