    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc3
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > And what people are suggesting with a 2.6.32-rc0 would just lead to
    > people now rebasing their work NOT EVEN ON A RELEASE. They'd want to
    > rebase it on top of that made-up commit (2.6.32-rc0), so now from a
    > development standpoint that commit suddenly becomes more important than
    > the release itself.

    IMO you're looking at this from the wrong side: the developer PoV. The
    request is made from a *user* PoV.
    Users very simply want to avoid that they accidentally install a merge
    window kernel over their stable kernel. IMO that makes sense.

    Developers are supposed to be able to take care of themselves; the mainline
    tree should aim to make things easy for users.

    I see the release versions purely as reference points. And -rc0 is
    obviously useless from that perspective, which is why it should be just a
    Makefile thing and not a tag. But -rc0 is IMO very useful to distinguish
    what kernels someone has installed.

    BTW, including the commit number in the version string has a major
    disadvantage: kernels will get installed *alongside* eachother instead of
    the newer kernel replacing the older one. Result is that /boot partitions
    fill up much more quickly.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-06 19:21    [W:0.023 / U:223.996 seconds]