SubjectRe: [PROBLEM][2.6.31.1] - Cannot burn DVDs - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D
Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> > It is very likely that this problem does not occur with the original
> > cdrecord from:
>
> > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
>
> Yes, but his distro probably feels it can't ship the original cdrecord
> so it ships wodim instead. And if it's indeed a kernel bug, replacing
> a forked userspace program to work around a kernel bug is The Wrong Answer.
>
> It forked 3 whole years ago, Joerg. Let it go already. And if you can't
> let it go, at least ask the user *helpful* questions, like Jeff Garzik did:

Just in case you don't know:

It is the fork that cannot be distributed legally because the fork has been
made to be in conflict with the copyright law. And it is the fork that is still
full of bugs that never have been in the original software. The fork did see
some speudo activity in the time between september 2006 and May 6th 2007 but it
is dead since then.

You can help: Ask your Linux distributor why he distributes an illegal and
buggy fork instead of the legal original software!

The fork is a problem caused by a hostile packetizer, see:

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

We, the OSS creators need to find a way to deal with hostile downstreams. Don't
look away when free software is atackedby hostile downstreams....

Back to the original topic: I cannot help you if you don't understand that
I was of course answering to the problem of the OP and the only kernel problem
I can see in the OP is that the kernel should of course not print such "error"
messages at all as errors from SCSI pass through commands are not handled by
the kernel but by the application program that is the only instance that knows
whether a specific SCSI error should be exposed to the user.

As I mentioned before, the OP reported a problem that I've seen before elsewhere
and that problem was reported to disappear after upgrading to cdrecord.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)