SubjectRe: [bisected] 2.6.31 regression sis5513 PIO Mode 0 hang
From
From: David Fries <david@fries.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 21:55:50 -0500

> First, if I'm going to do much debugging, how would I force the
> ethernet device to come up first so I have netconsole?
>
> How is the problem patch,
> + ide_port_for_each_dev(i, drive, hwif) {
> + if (port_ops && port_ops->set_pio_mode)
> + port_ops->set_pio_mode(drive, 0);
> + }
>
> Different from using hdparm to set the mode? I do this,
> hdparm -p 0 /dev/hda
> hdparm -X pio0 /dev/hda
> and the benchmarks give me about what I would expect 7MB/s instead of
> the normal 40MB/s.
>
> Then I can re-enable with,
> hdparm -p 4 /dev/hda
> hdparm -X udma5 /dev/hda
> hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
> hda: UDMA/100 mode selected
> and the drive is back up to speed, and obviously the kernel didn't
> freeze. Should there be anything different between what the patch
> tried, and and hdparm's doing, other than kernel initiated and start
> and a user program later on?

From your original hang trace I can only guess that the problematic
sequence is putting your CDROM into PIO0, then putting it into
PIO4, and then immediately reading the TOC.

This is what the ide-cd.c code does right about where you get the
hang.

Debugging this further is really totally pointless for a subsystem
that should be in deep maintainence mode, so I'm just going to
revert.

Thanks.

  Last update: 2009-10-05 06:03    [W:0.055 / U:0.208 seconds]