    SubjectRe: 2.6.31.4: Intel P55 Chipset BUG [usbhid-raw/devices/broken?] [tested 3 different UPS']

    On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Alan Stern wrote:

    > On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> SUMMARY: P55 Chipset/USB has issues with UPS' (broken pipe on 3 diff UPS')
    >> WORKAROUND: Buy/use PCI USB card if you want to use nut/connect a UPS.
    >> NOTES: All other USB (non-UPS) devices seem to function without any
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Problem: When I migrated from a DG965WH -> DP55KG motherboard, there were
    >>> quite a bit of issues, host still does not reboot without special flags, e.g.
    >>> reboot=a, the NIC driver is broken with the in-kernel version (the one on
    >>> e1000.sourceforge) fixes that and finally my UPS USB has driver stale
    >>> problems, with two issues already relating to the HW/drivers themselves it
    >>> would not be unrealistic to speculate that there could be an issue with the
    >>> USB chipset/driver with this P55 motherboard.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Tried another APC 1500VA UPS, same problem occurs, different cable/port etc.
    >>
    >> Problem appears to be the Intel P55KG / USB Chipset in the way that it
    >> handles usbhid-raw devices as CD/USB sticks/kbd/mouse/etc do not appear to
    >> be affected.
    >>
    >> So far all other USB devices work fine, with the exception of UPS', I
    >> have tested two APC 1500VA (one an RS the other an XS), in addition I also
    >> have a 'BELKIN 1200VA UPS with AVR' from a long time ago, the same
    >> problem occurs.

    >> A bit frustrated, I popped in a PCI card with 4 external USBs, and now no
    >> more errors:
    >
    > We might learn something by comparing two usbmon logs for the same UPS
    > device, one plugged into a USB port on the motherboard and the other
    > plugged into an add-on card.
    >
    > Alan Stern

    Hi Alan,

    Got it--two runs:

    1. 5 minutes of usbmon output on via chipset [working]
    2. 5 minutes of usbmon output on intel p55 usb chipset [ehci/not working]

    --

    ORDER:

    1. cat 0u | tee /tmp/1.mon.out
    2. /etc/init.d/nut start
    3. sleep 300; killall -9 cat

    --

    OUTPUT:

    ----

    Issues/5-minute run (initial errors mainly occur within the first 2 min)
    (5 minute capture)
    http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091031/1.mon.out.p55chipset.2.txt
    Issues/5-minute run (initial errors mainly occur within the first 2 min)
    (again) (5 minute capture)
    http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091031/1.mon.out.p55chipset.2.one.more.time.txt
    Errors past 5 minutes occur around 6-7 minutes and later, hence this last one
    nut had been running for 5-7 minutes when I started it, it captured a
    disconnect and reconnect toward the end FYI. (capture until error > 5 min)
    http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091031/1.mon.out.p55chipset.2.one.more.time.while.nut.is.running.txt

    No issues on the PCI USB card: (5 minute capture)
    http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091031/1.mon.out.via.no.errors.txt

    ==

    FILES:

    wget http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091031/1.mon.out.p55chipset.2.one.more.time.txt
    wget http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091031/1.mon.out.p55chipset.2.one.more.time.while.nut.is.running.txt
    wget http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091031/1.mon.out.p55chipset.2.txt
    wget http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091031/1.mon.out.via.no.errors.txt

    Justin.

      Last update: 2009-11-01 00:45    [W:0.031 / U:29.904 seconds]