    SubjectRe: 2.6.31.4: Intel P55 Chipset BUG [usbhid-raw/devices/broken?] [tested 3 different UPS']
    On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > SUMMARY: P55 Chipset/USB has issues with UPS' (broken pipe on 3 diff UPS')
    > WORKAROUND: Buy/use PCI USB card if you want to use nut/connect a UPS.
    > NOTES: All other USB (non-UPS) devices seem to function without any
    > problems.
    >
    > On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:
    >
    > > Problem: When I migrated from a DG965WH -> DP55KG motherboard, there were
    > > quite a bit of issues, host still does not reboot without special flags, e.g.
    > > reboot=a, the NIC driver is broken with the in-kernel version (the one on
    > > e1000.sourceforge) fixes that and finally my UPS USB has driver stale
    > > problems, with two issues already relating to the HW/drivers themselves it
    > > would not be unrealistic to speculate that there could be an issue with the
    > > USB chipset/driver with this P55 motherboard.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tried another APC 1500VA UPS, same problem occurs, different cable/port etc.
    >
    > Problem appears to be the Intel P55KG / USB Chipset in the way that it
    > handles usbhid-raw devices as CD/USB sticks/kbd/mouse/etc do not appear to
    > be affected.
    >
    > So far all other USB devices work fine, with the exception of UPS', I
    > have tested two APC 1500VA (one an RS the other an XS), in addition I also
    > have a 'BELKIN 1200VA UPS with AVR' from a long time ago, the same
    > problem occurs.

    > A bit frustrated, I popped in a PCI card with 4 external USBs, and now no
    > more errors:

    We might learn something by comparing two usbmon logs for the same UPS
    device, one plugged into a USB port on the motherboard and the other
    plugged into an add-on card.

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2009-10-31 16:21    [W:0.020 / U:0.784 seconds]