SubjectRe: 2.6.31.4: Intel P55 Chipset BUG [usbhid-raw/devices/broken?] [tested 3 different UPS']
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> SUMMARY: P55 Chipset/USB has issues with UPS' (broken pipe on 3 diff UPS')
> WORKAROUND: Buy/use PCI USB card if you want to use nut/connect a UPS.
> NOTES: All other USB (non-UPS) devices seem to function without any
> problems.
>
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>
> > Problem: When I migrated from a DG965WH -> DP55KG motherboard, there were
> > quite a bit of issues, host still does not reboot without special flags, e.g.
> > reboot=a, the NIC driver is broken with the in-kernel version (the one on
> > e1000.sourceforge) fixes that and finally my UPS USB has driver stale
> > problems, with two issues already relating to the HW/drivers themselves it
> > would not be unrealistic to speculate that there could be an issue with the
> > USB chipset/driver with this P55 motherboard.
>
> --
>
> Tried another APC 1500VA UPS, same problem occurs, different cable/port etc.
>
> Problem appears to be the Intel P55KG / USB Chipset in the way that it
> handles usbhid-raw devices as CD/USB sticks/kbd/mouse/etc do not appear to
> be affected.
>
> So far all other USB devices work fine, with the exception of UPS', I
> have tested two APC 1500VA (one an RS the other an XS), in addition I also
> have a 'BELKIN 1200VA UPS with AVR' from a long time ago, the same
> problem occurs.

> A bit frustrated, I popped in a PCI card with 4 external USBs, and now no
> more errors:

We might learn something by comparing two usbmon logs for the same UPS
device, one plugged into a USB port on the motherboard and the other
plugged into an add-on card.

Alan Stern

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans