    SubjectRe: Help needed, Re: [Bug #14334] pcmcia suspend regression from 2.6.31.1 to 2.6.31.2 - Dell Inspiron 600m
    Date
    On Friday 30 October 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > >

    > > 1) Resume works if pcmcia_socket_dev_resume(dev) is moved to the "regular"
    > > resume phase, after resume_device_irqs().
    >
    > Hmm. We really probably shouldn't call pcmcia_socket_dev_resume() in
    > early_resume. It takes mutexes etc, and it calls "socket_resume()", which
    > sleeps etc. That per se should be ok these days (since we don't actualyl
    > disable CPU irq's, just device irqs), but it also does that whole card
    > insertion events etc. And _that_ code I wouldn't trust at all.

    I thought so when I worked on commit 0c570cdeb, but then it turned out to
    work just fine with a number of boxes.

    > The PCMCIA code is better than it used to be a long time ago, but some of
    > it is still pretty crazy.
    >
    > I get the feeling that we should just revert that commit 0c570cdeb,

    Well, there's nothing wrong with doing the PCI stuff and restoring the state at
    the _noirq stage IMO, so instead of reverting it altogether, I'd add
    yenta_dev_suspend|resume() that would just call
    pcmcia_socket_dev_suspend|resume() during "regular" suspend|resume.

    > and instead always do PCMCIA suspend as a "eject" event. That way we have no
    > driver behind it to resume at resume time - and we'll see any plugged-in
    > device as just a new insertion.

    In fact I thought about that.

    It looks like I need to find a CardBus adapter somewhere and clean that thing up.

    That said, I'd really like to know what's going on in there. :-)

    Thanks,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2009-10-30 21:33    [W:4.107 / U:0.356 seconds]