    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL v2] bkl tracepoints + filter regex support
    On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:47:06AM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

    > Hi -

    > >> No, but the thing is, IF we're going to freeze this into ABI, then
    > >> there's no second chances.
    >
    > > Right. Once it becomes an ioctl, it becomes an ABI :-/
    >
    > Are y'all convinced that a little ascii language parser/interpreter is
    > the right thing to put into the kernel, as opposed to bytecode (with a
    > userspace compiler)?
    >
    > - FChE

    We need something directly understandable from the kernel interfaces.
    As an example we don't want the ftrace users to bother about compiling
    a string before applying it on an event filter through ftrace debugfs
    interface, we want it directly usable without middle-state in the worklow.

    That's also the same for perf syscalls users.

    Moreover it's a really small language, based on predicates. Fetching
    strings against bytecodes won't make that much differences in the
    amount of kernel code to maintain.

      Last update: 2009-10-03 13:53    [W:4.543 / U:0.328 seconds]