SubjectRe: Relicensing tracepoints and markers to Dual LGPL v2.1/GPL v2,headers to Dual BSD/GPL

* GeunSik Lim <leemgs1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Zhaolei <zhaolei@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> > * From: "Wu Fengguang" <fengguang.wu@intel.com>
> > Subject: Re: Relicensing tracepoints and markers to Dual LGPL v2.1/GPL v2,headers to Dual BSD/GPL

> >> Me too.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Fengguang
> >
> > Me too.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Zhaolei
>
> Sorry for the late reply. Why do we need a different license to GPLV2
> sources that contributors submitted.? As Mathieu mentioned, I think
> that GPLV2 based some sources needs to be relicense to trace
> non-GPL applications
> for some developers and some companies.
>
> In real, Some open source like QT, MySQL is licensed using dual
> license for business strategy. tracepoint.c/marker.c file is GPLv2
> currently.
>
> Can we re-distribute with dual license (e.g: bsd/gplv2 or lgpl
> 2.1/gplv2) about some source of linux kernel source? I think that
> linux kernel source is GPLv2 only. Frankly speaking, I am not know
> exactly about legal issues of your questions.

Yes, the legality of such relicensing is questionable as that code was
never developed outside of the kernel but as part of the kernel.

But i also disagree with it on a technical level: code duplication is
_bad_. Why does the code have to be duplicated in user-space like that?
I'd like Linux tracing code to be in the kernel repo. Why isnt this done
properly, as part of the kernel project - to make sure it all stays in
sync?

So for those two grounds i cannot give my permission for this
relicensing, sorry.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-10-26 08:33    [W:0.236 / U:0.008 seconds]