    SubjectRe: move gfs2 tracepoints to inclue/trace/events dir
    On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:00:37PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > yeah. I have no objection to adding it to include/trace/. Tracepoints
    > are a fundamentally global business.
    > Subsystems can opt to hide their tracepoints locally, but it's better to
    > have a global view about what's out there, so that it can be extended
    > coherently, etc.

    We're lacking quite a bit coherence even with it. The originally reason
    why there were global was that the infrastructure couldn't cope with
    having the either in modules or elsewhere in the source tree at all.

    We have managed to avoid global directories for drivers/filesystems for
    as much as we can lately. Having everything in a directory makes sure
    it's self-contained and people don't use it accidentally from other
    modules, which also applies to trace events - we don't want people
    accidentally use gfs2 tracepoints from a driver (and if you think
    that's far fetched look at the recent example of a driver using
    debugging macros from the networking code that got pulled in
    accidentally somewhere).

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-25 08:53    [W:0.041 / U:1.848 seconds]