SubjectRe: Ordering problem in serial_core.c
> If the line discipline is throttling the port when close is called, it
> tries to unthrottle the port which, in the case of soft flow, tries to
> send the XON character.  This doesn't work well since at this point
> the uart has been shutdown.

A rather more relevant question is why is the serial driver doing an
ldisc flush in the first place.

> The simple reordering shown below will seems to fix the problem, but
> please comment if there are other side effects I am not seeing.

I don't see one offhand, and it looks a reasonable fix. I'll take a
deeper look next week but it might not be a bad idea for this to get put
into -next to see.