    SubjectRe: Ordering problem in serial_core.c
    > If the line discipline is throttling the port when close is called, it
    > tries to unthrottle the port which, in the case of soft flow, tries to
    > send the XON character.  This doesn't work well since at this point
    > the uart has been shutdown.

    A rather more relevant question is why is the serial driver doing an
    ldisc flush in the first place.

    > The simple reordering shown below will seems to fix the problem, but
    > please comment if there are other side effects I am not seeing.

    I don't see one offhand, and it looks a reasonable fix. I'll take a
    deeper look next week but it might not be a bad idea for this to get put
    into -next to see.