    SubjectRe: removing existing working drivers via staging
    On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 08:20:12PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
    > On Thursday 15 October 2009 19:49:32 Greg KH wrote:

    > > > This is insanity and opens a door for various forms of abuse.
    > >
    > > What do you mean by this? What kind of "abuse"?
    >
    > Typical situation:
    >
    > You have driver for _really_ difficult hardware used by minority of total
    > users of a given subsystem. Said driver has no major problems except being
    > f*cking complicated (because of hardware) so it stays in the way of future
    > changes.
    >
    > With the current system people making bigger changes have to comprehend
    > that difficult stuff [*]. This is a good thing in the long-term since it
    > results in the better overall system understanding, better knowledge of
    > "DO's and DON'T's" and better users' experience.
    >
    > Now with the proposed scheme it is sufficient to throw said driver into
    > staging for few weeks and make future changes. Before users even notice
    > and complain they are screwed already since bringing the driver back is
    > no longer possible without big effort (+ subsystem is still evolving)..

    But a driver in staging still has to be able to build, api changes are
    not able to be ignored in it.

    > This will result in a "new kernel new hardware" world that some distro
    > people have been silently trying to accomplish and in this brave new world
    > few key people have way too much advantage over everyone else.

    I don't understand what you are referring to here.

    How about we take it one proposed (real) situation at a time here? If
    anyone objects to what is going on, please let me know.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2009-10-15 20:59    [W:0.022 / U:2.440 seconds]