SubjectRe: removing existing working drivers via staging
david@lang.hm wrote:
> I missed this discussion in the thread "Moving drivers into
> staging (was Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for 2.6.32-" and I suspect that
> many others did as well
>
> for those that missed it, as I understand it the proposal is that 'ugly'
> (working drivers that don't do things the kernel way and are perceived as
> not being commonly used anymore) drivers will get moved into staging, and

There was mention of "abandoned and unused" drivers (rather than "not
/commonly/ used anymore"), see e.g.
(2nd to last paragraph; thread continues with Greg's follow-up).

> if the driver maintainers do not clean them up within 6-9 months they will
> be removed entirely.
>
> the expectation is that if there are no maintainers for the driver who
> care enough to do the cleanup they should be removed (with interested
> users being able to take over maintaining the drivers if there the
> maintainers are MIA)
>
> I have several reactions to this
>
> I think that 6-9 months (2-3 releases) is _far_ too short for users to
> notice. most users will be using a distro kernel that is on a release
> cycle longer than this (even if they are not using a 'enterprise' distro),
> so their first inkling of a problem will be the driver disappearing on
> them. Yes the driver can be recovered through git, bit at that point
> there is going to be catch-up changes to make.
>
> What happened to the desire that Linux would be able to use anything, and
> once a driver was upstream changes to the kernel that would break it
> should be fixed by whoever is introducing those changes? This seems to be
> moving in the direction of only having drivers for fairly current, fairly
> common hardware.

AFAIU, mostly just code which is known to _not work_ anymore or has been
functionally replaced by an alternative drops out of the mainline. This
idea of using drivers/staging/ in the process is surely not going to
change that in principle; it will only raise awareness among active
kernel developers better than feature-removal-schedule.txt can do.
--
Stefan Richter

  Last update: 2009-10-15 18:39    [W:0.127 / U:1.028 seconds]