    SubjectRe: [Bug #14388] keyboard under X with 2.6.31

    On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Paul Fulghum wrote:

    > On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 07:39 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > It's not a f*cking performance tweak, and you're ludicrous to claim it is.
    > > It's pointless, and it's making the code _slower_ rather than faster.
    > >
    > > Lookie here, Alan - the common sequence is crap like this:
    > >
    > > tty_buffer_request_room(tty, buf->size);
    > > tty_insert_flip_string(tty, buf->base, buf->size);
    > The performance tweak of tty_prepare_xxx is that you fill
    > the tty_buffer directly instead of writing data first to a staging
    > buffer and then calling tty_insert_flip_string, which just copies
    > from the staging buffer to the tty_buffer. So it saves a copy operation.

    Read the above again. Read what that common sequence is. Please just READ
    the f*cking code, and read my emails, instead of talking about something
    totally different that I'm not talking about at all.

    The _most_common_ use of "tty_buffer_request_room()" is literally just the
    above insane sequence I quoted, not the case you talk about at all. Don't
    believe me? Use grep.

    What _you_ are talking about is something else, namely the
    tty_prepare_flip stuff. But dammit, that has nothing what-so-ever to do
    with "tty_buffer_request_room()".

    What I was pointing out is that there are a lot of
    "tty_buffer_request_room()" calls, and as far as I can see, all of them
    (or at least a large percentage) are just pure and utter crap.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-18 23:28    [W:0.020 / U:97.388 seconds]