SubjectRe: [patch] Staging: hv: Fix vmbus load hang caused by wrong data packing
From
Hi Hank,

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Hank Janssen <hjanssen@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>Ideally, we don't deal with packed structures at all, but with offsets
>>in memory and pick out the proper fields and put them into new
>>structures if you want to use them that way.  How hard would that be to
>>do here instead?
>
> It is something that I want to look at in the future. Our primary focus
> Is to get the bug fixed. We cannot do the offset way in the time we
> Have before 2.6.32 closes and still be comfortable we have gone through
> The extensive testing cycle we do on our side.

We don't merge fixes to the kernel unless we understand _why_ they fix
things. It's pretty likely that the problem here is that one or more
of the structs you are putting under "#pragma pack" just need to be
annotated with "attribute packed".

Pekka