    SubjectRe: move gfs2 tracepoints to inclue/trace/events dir

    * Christoph Hellwig <> wrote:

    > On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 12:01:16PM -0400, Jason Baron wrote:
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > I'd like to move the gfs2 tracepoints to the the common
    > > include/trace/events directory along with all of the other trace events.
    > > It makes understanding what tracepoints are available easier, and I see
    > > no reason why gfs2 should be different. For example, 'ext4.h' is already
    > > in the include/trace/events directory.
    > Folks, no. Drivers and filesystems should be as self-contained as
    > possible. include/trace/ is an extremly bad idea for everything
    > that's not actually global kernel functionality. There's a reason all
    > other fs headers have moved out of include/linux, too.

    Tracing is special though - having global visibility of different
    tracepoints in one place helps keeping the set of tracepoints more

    Self-contained tracepoints are fine too, but only as a second-tier
    choice for out-of-tree code or for subsystems that prefer that.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-12 12:17    [W:0.019 / U:51.724 seconds]