SubjectRe: Exposing device ids and driver names
On 10/01/2009 03:07 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 02:56:55PM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:

>>> Did those modules have debugging symbols enabled? That seems like a
>>> large savings for just the module device tables.
>>
>> It does not appear so (none of the debug sections are present). But I
>> could be wrong.
>>
>> Stripping the modules on the penultimate Fedora 11 kernel results in the
>> same drop in size. I can't imagine why a release kernel would have
>> anything extra left in the modules (unless it is just by accident).
>
> Are you sure things still work after stripping? Stuff like systemtap
> and other tools?

Not at all. I have no idea what the ramifications are.

My point was merely that whatever is stripped out of the kernel should
be able (in theory) to be stripped from the modules. The only point of
difference should be the actual module symbols themselves which can in
stead be stored in ELF sections.

Nathaniel

  Last update: 2009-10-01 21:19    [W:0.077 / U:0.076 seconds]