SubjectRe: x86: mce: Please revert 22223c9b417be5fd0ab2cf9ad17eb7bd1e19f7b9

* Borislav Petkov <borislav.petkov@amd.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 07:34:11AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > Ok, here it is, tested on two Fam10 machines here with injecting MCEs.
> > > The decoding code is now built-in by default (early_initcall requires
> > > !MODULE).
> >
> > I don't think it has to require !MODULE. We could do what we do for the
> > other initcalls, ie if MODULE we turn it into just a regular initcall. If
> > that allows something like the EDAC MCE to be built as a module, and
> > people want to, then just go ahead and add the one-liner to <linux/init.h>
> >
> > Of course, if it _requires_ being loaded early for some other reason, then
>
> the only reason I can think of is if you want to be able to decode
> MCEs happening as early as possible before the modules have been
> init-ted.
>
> Question really is, what is more important to us? But we definitely
> can do the module stuff too and get rid of ~5K core kernel fat by
> relocating the whole functionality completely into the module. Hmm...

I'd focus on the built-in-side initially, which is the most
practical/debuggable/serviceable solution. It's of course not a problem
(at all) if it is _also_ module loadable but that's not the primary
goal.

Ingo

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans