SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Kernel Blocking Firewall
From
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:23:43PM -0700, jmerkey@wolfmountaingroup.com
> wrote:
>> iptables is just too cumbersome and memory comsumptive to work well and
>> has a shitty app inteface so I wrote one with a kernel level database
>> and
>> combined it with postfix. This firewall actually drops packets on the
>> floor by port, or in their entirety by IP address to deal with these
>> jerks.
>>
>> The code is a kernel module that will build an RBL database to disk and
>> it
>> will cache up to 500,000 IP addresses efficiently on a 1GB home personal
>> computer. The more memory you have, the more IP addresses you can
>> cache.
>> It is configurable and possible to hold millions of them if you have 4GB
>> of memory in the server.
>
> why didn't you use ipset for that ? It's designed exactly for this usage
> and is a lot easier to use than plain iptables for dynamic filtering.
>
> Willy

No database to store the 500,000+ addresses you will harvest in about 2
months, that's why. The one I did uses an lru cached database that runs
in the kernel, and not userspace, so you can filer real time, and manage
the database real time.

Jeff

  Last update: 2009-01-09 09:23    [W:0.047 / U:0.040 seconds]